Club History

Club History

 

Bookham Bowling Club

A BRIEF HISTORY

 

The Bookham Bowling Club was formed on 16th October 1933 under the auspices of W.W.Leavis of Groveside, Great Bookham, then Chairman of Leatherhead Urban District Council. Alfred Longhurst a landscape gardener was contracted to construct a bowling green on the Chrystie Recreation Ground. The work cost £200 and the contract is still in the club files (a copy may be read here Construction of Green Contract.pdf). The pavilion, now used for storage, was given to the Club by Herbert Allen who owned the land where Allen Road now stands. The club furnished it with lockers in 1936.

The Ladies section was formed in 1935. It was known as The Bookhams BC until 1938.

The Club flourished and the members maintained the Bowling Green until 1938 when the Council agreed to maintain the green and the premises were leased to the Club on favourable terms. After the Second World War the green deteriorated and in the early 1970’s the Club members assisted the Council grounds man to improve the green. In 1975 the Club accepted full responsibility for the maintenance of the premises for an experimental four year period, and in 1978 a new 14 year lease was agreed with Mole Valley District Council. The lease was renewed in 1992 for a further 21 years.

In 1971 the old pavilion was too small for the membership of 90 and the Council agreed to provide a new building complete with furniture and fittings. The Club undertook the internal decorations and the Pavilion was opened in 1972 by Stan Taylor the Chairman of the Council. In 1983 toilets were added; a bar was added in 1994 thanks to a grant from the Foundation for Arts and Sports.

In 1999 the wooden ditching was replaced with sectional resin bonded concrete by specialist contractors at a cost of £14,000-thanks to loans by Members.

In 2002 a new paved terrace was laid and fencing erected at the southern corner of the green. In 2003 the tiled roof on the old pavilion was renewed and in 2006 a separate annexe was built for the Men’s changing room and the Clubhouse was enlarged as a result at a cost of £12,000. In 2007 the electricity supply to the Clubhouse was upgraded. In 2008 a new club sign was built at the end of the green and the Club celebrated its 75th anniversary with a range of events and matches. In 2010 the club acquired a new parcel of land adjacent to the south west corner of the site and negotiated a new lease for 25 years.  The new land was secured, fenced and landscaped to create an attractive recreational and viewing area.

The membership has remained fairly steady over the years but in 2007 a record number of 22 new members were admitted.  At the end of the 2017 season, the figure stood at 120 playing members and 61 Social members.

The Trophies we play for:-

Brotherhood Trophy

Men’s Championship                          

Presented in 1935 by the Bookham Brotherhood               

The Allen Cup      

Ladies Championship

Presented by H. Allen in 1935.

 

The Coronation Cup     

Commemorating the coronation of King George VI in 1937

L.A.White Cup                                      

Presented by L.A.White of Fetcham in 1939

Bennett Cup                                             

Presented by H. Bennett in 1941.

 

MaClaren Cup                                             

Presented by R.T.Rowley in 1948

Victoria Cup                                                  

Presented by Mr. & Mrs Parrish in 1949

 

Fortescue Trophy                                       

Presented by Stephen Fortescue in 1969.

Saunders Cup                                               

In memory of Daisy Saunders, for many years the secretary of the Ladies section

Jubilee Shield                                              

Presented by L. Barnes in 1978 to commemorate the Queen’s  Silver Jubilee

Captains Shield

Presented by David Emery in 1993

Hardisty Cup                                                 

Presented by Ann Hardisty in 1994

Charles Flowers Trophy                            

In memory of Charles Flowers - a long Standing Officer of the Club (1998)

Golden Jubilee Cup

Presented by Jack Clatworthy & Ron Parslow in 2002 to celebrate the Queen’s Golden Jubilee.                                                                                                                                                      

Davis Cup                                                      

Presented by Tessa Davis in 2005.